HOMECOMING- a story by me.

 


It was this time of the year, me and my parents were planning to go for a vacation, a year ago. And now I am sitting alone on my desk thinking about the matter for my next novel. It was a massive accident that took away my mom and dad and all those lovely moments that were yet to come in my life. The doorbell rang all of a sudden. It was James, my friend and colleague. James was someone who understood me much better than myself. He had an envelope in his hand. I asked him what it was, to which he replied “a BREAK”. Break, from all this loneliness and melancholy. James said that those were tickets to Rajasthan, India. I was born and brought up in Calgary but had my roots in India. My father belonged to Ajmer, Rajasthan. I remember him telling me about his childhood and my grandparents. I never saw them nor talked to them. I didn’t even know where they lived. I wasn’t enthused but couldn’t say no to an ardent James.

         We landed in Rajasthan and reached the hotel by evening. Jetlagged, we quickly slipped into our beds post dinner. Next morning I enjoyed my refreshing cup of tea in the garden which was surrounded with beautiful flowers and to my surprise even cactus bore flowers. Curious, I asked how it was possible to the old gardener who was watering them. Smiling he replied that even cactus can bear flowers if nurtured regularly. His name was Raghunath. He seemed quite fit for someone his age. I requested him to tell me about the city, locals, etc. He told me he has been working here prior to independence. This hotel was a palace during the British Raj. His father served the Company and as he grew up he too joined the same. Earlier Rajasthan was called Rajputana. The year 1869 saw famine, it was named as The Great Rajputana Famine. There was an epidemic spread, late monsoons caused drought, shortage of food leading to deaths. It was horrendous and mournful. We were interrupted by James. He had already planned the day. We travelled through Ajmer city, visited the holy Ajmer Shariff .

       Next morning Raghunath again entertained me with stories from his past during the British rule. He said that his people were treated as slaves often with no food, clothing and shelter. Raghunath tried to protest, resulting in him being punished to stay here forever. To lighten the mood, I asked Raghunath where could I find some local delicacies to enjoy. He directed me to a wretched house where an old lady was sitting with her keen eyes on the door. Maybe she used to cook food and serve it to tourists to earn her living, which no one noticed due to the bad condition of the place. She offered me a big thali which had number of small bowls each having a different item in it. We talked while I devoured my thali.

     All of a sudden a dusty portrait on the wall caught my eyes. It was faded with time but was recognizable. Surprise I realized it was my father. On interrogating her I got to know that the person I was talking to was my grandma. I was ecstatic. I asked her about my grandpa to which she sadly replied that he was no more. There was silence in the room. Then she took out an album to show me an image of my late grandfather. I was startled to see that the image was of Raghunath’s, the gardener. I ran back to the hotel but could not find him. I even asked the officials but they said there was no such gardener working there. I returned to grandma and told her about my encounter. He wanted to see you. He might be in peace now. Tears of contentment rolled down her cheeks, as she said, the heart dies, desires don’t.

        I bid goodbye to James and decided to stay with my dadi now on, assisting her in our newly launched *Dadi ka Dhaba.*  

 

Comments

Switzerland he Natural Wonder

Switzerland - Amazing facts and figures

Unbelievable 5 customs in Tribal Communities of India: Lives, Practices, and Culture

5 Essential Personal Finance Tips for a stable 2024